#1 My Mom's Cinnamon Bread
Now, those who have had this bread will know why this is a necessity. While it may seem like just bread, but once toasted and liberal amounts of butter are applied the cinnamon and sugar sections take on this amazing gooey consistency. Our family has made an art of eating this bread so that you can most effectively savor this effect. You first eat the top crust as this is the most crunch (and also has a tendency to break on when taken out of the toaster). Once the crust is finished, you eat your way around the edge of the bread, pulling it away from the inner circle and swirl. The swirl is left for last as this is where all the goodness lies, and if eaten first there is a tendency to not see a point in the rest of the bread. :)
All in all, it's amazing and I never feel like it is Christmas or the holiday season without it.
#2 COOKIES!!
Every family has their standard cookies. Us McClelland's don't discriminate and while we have our standards, are known to also branch out. This year we experimented with a new recipe for sugar cookies which used lemon rind and introduced a new spin on a classic. I was able to spend a day with Kirsten baking cookies at her parents house, and then decorating the cookies. I must admit that these cookies were probably some of my best frosting art I've ever created. Kirste - the bar has been set for next year.
#3 Family and Friends
This is an obvious, especially given I live literally on the other side of the world. I hadn't seen my family and friends for at least a year and most more than that. Let alone the fact that I hadn't been in Seattle for a year and a half... So I was so happy to be able to spend some quality time with all my friends and family. For those who I wasn't able to catch up with - there is always next year.
No comments:
Post a Comment