Sunday, May 9, 2010

Beautiful Autumn Days!!

Firstly, let me just clarify - it's not Fall it's Autumn here. This is another one of those words you learn not to mention as it invites all sorts of harassment by anyone willing to give you a jab.

Call it what you want, the weather has been fantastic! This weekend I've been taking my time to do random returns and errands around Sydney. Yesterday I took the train out to Rhodes (aka the home of Ikea) to return some things I decided not to use. But today was the topper. I had to go to Manly to sign a new contract for my appliances and so decided to make a day of it. While Manly beach is known for it's surfing and long sandy beach - it is it's sleepy sibling do the South which I was more interested in. Shelly beach is about 1K south of Manly and is sheltered so there are no waves. But this isn't why I wanted to go to this beach. This is the home to a very nice aquatic reserve which has thousands of fish.

The beach had a bit more people than this but you get the idea :)

Given the swim I did earlier in the year was a dark and stormy day and we weren't able to see anything I wanted to give it another go on a nice day and see how it is. It was AMAZING!!! There were so many fish! Plus the water wasn't too cold.

Initially I started out doing a proper swim until I realised just how many fish there were around me. At which point I slowed down to enjoy a bit more of the scenery... which this was great the cold eventually got to me so I had to get out but it was a fantastic overall. I must admit I will give it another go next weekend if the weather holds up and the water isn't too cold.

Here are a couple of the fish I think I saw...

I think I saw a small Blue Groper

There were literally schools of these swimming around

Here is a picture of the schools and how they'd literally swim right past you

There were some of these too

It is days like this which make it fairly easy for me to say I won't be moving back to the states for a bit longer. :)

No comments: