For those who are confused or unaware of the sport I will provide you with a brief description. It is plaid on grass cut much like grass tennis courts. To begin the turn you throw a small wooden ball (called a Jack) down to the other end of the lawn. Then each person from the two teams takes a turn bowling larger weighted balls down the grass, trying to get their balls closer to the Jack. Once all the balls have been bowled the round is scored - the team with their balls closest to the Jack gets a point for every ball w/in the closest range. If I had to compare it to another sport I would compare it to curling (minus the brooms and freezing temperatures).
Being the school's Events Coordinator I get the joy of not only choosing the location/activity for our outings, but I also get to choose the theme!!! (tee hee hee) So for our mid-session party we rocked up to the local lawn bowling club. (Now, for those of you who don't know what rocked up means please refer to my recent post below on Aussie slang... but to save you the time it means we showed up.) The theme: Plaid and Argyle Galore!! Below are some pictures to give you an idea of the different outfits.
Once we were there we commenced in 2.5 hours of very competitive lawn bowling. To give you an idea of the skill level below is a picture of the lawn... can we say SKILL!!!
On the schedule for next session break party: cosmic bowling w/ the possible theme of 80's neoglow.
2 comments:
The McClelland Clan would absolutely rock that place! :)
Hey Ker! Long time no chat! Wish you could have been here for my bday... it was a low-key kind of day, but a good one. Now I'm your age again. :) Looks like you're having a blast! It's good that I don't know how to lawn bowl... I don't need one MORE thing to be competitive about! Miss you and think of you often! How is school?! Love, J La
Post a Comment