Sunday, July 6, 2008

Am I bi-lingual??

More and more I am realising how we Americans seem to have created our own language. Whether it is with the way we spell things or the way we communicate things, it's usually very different not just to other non-English languages, but to pretty much every other English speaking country.

I now find myself fighting over whether it is organisation or organization, realize or realise, center or centre.... honestly I could go on! So now I am beginning to think that I should be able to consider myself at least bi-lingual.

To take it a step further, it's not just the spelling. I can interpret things like "Ta" which to an American would be an irrelevant grunt, but to people in the UK or here in OZ it means thanks. Or even being able to better understand (and sometimes even copy) our neighbors to the north and their use of the word "eh". (I blame Nicole, Brent, and Steve mostly for this) This seemly innocent two letter word can be "right?" or "what?" as well as many other meanings.

All in all I can say I am beginning to speak like a local (sans the accent), with one very distinct difference - I do not (and will not) use the word "reckon" which seems to be at the core of the Aussie language. I might have used the word a couple of times in Virginia, however the visual I have of someone saying that word is someone in flannel, overalls, and chew in their mouth.

My last comment will be toward the word "root" which in the US or Canada means to cheer for or support a sporting team, as well as represent a very good winter cloths brand... here root means to have sex. So for those of you who are planning on watching a sporting event down under, please do not ask "Who are you rooting for?" because it will put an entirely different spin on the game (not to mention earn you a few strange looks).

No comments: