Sunday, July 27, 2008

Driving on the Wrong (Australian) Side of the road....

I have no driven on the wrong (British) side of the road... in a manual and have survived. Now considering it's probably been a good 3-4 years since I've driving a manual and the gear shift is on the left hand side - which means I was shifting with my left hand - I consider this a great accomplishment! To make things easier it was at midnight so there was nobody on the road and the car wasn't large.

My greatest fear in driving over here is the spacial difference. Compared to the states where our streets are wide enough for four cars and you slow down when you have to squeeze between two cars- the margin for error here is infinitely smaller. To make it worse, the car was parked in a tiny ally way so to get out I had to navigate out of the ally. In the end all mirrors were intact and I only had on major miscalculation when turning left for the first time - when I promptly hit the curb.

Aside from that the only other thing was the confusing fact that the signals are on the right side of the wheel not the left, so I turned the windshield wipers on every time I went to turn the blinker on.

So my advice for anyone who comes here and plans to drive is to keep the following in mind:
1. The drive should always be closest to oncoming traffic.
2. The blinkers (or signals) are by the window.

No comments: