Thursday, February 26, 2009

Great time to get a job...

This is the understatement of the century. All of the consulting firms here have laid people off in the last couple weeks. Companies are not wanting to sponsor foreigners to work for them, and it just overall sucks.

I have applied for over 20 jobs, most of which I don't even hear back from, have interviewed for a handful, and nothing. I'm trying not to take this as a complete moral crusher, but considering I'd never not gotten a job from an interview before it's a bit demoralising.

So right now my plan is to potentially do a quick graduate diploma in a related area which will allow me to apply for permanent residency here. This essentially means I'd be employable and companies wouldn't need to pay for my visa. Now this would mean I wouldn't get the amazing tax benefits of being a foreigner living and working here - but considering getting that is only a potential at this point I'd take the chance. The unfortunate thing is that I'd then be looking at an additional batch of tuition payments, which is not at all something I want to deal with now. But I'm pretty sure my chances of getting a job here are better than in the states.

We'll see how it all plays out, right now it's pretty grim though.

No comments: