Sunday, February 22, 2009

Unwanted Guest

Most everyone knows about the massive insects that are found all over Australia... I've learned to cope with them as most won't hurt you and at most they are just creepy. I'm not sure if it is the season or what, but lately there has been an increase in the number of insects which have made it into the house, and even worse - into my room.

Now I'm not stupid and don't leave food out in my room so am lost as to why they would wander to the complete opposite end of the house from the kitchen... but they do. I've adapted by having a can of roach spray handy in my room at all times.

However I had a new and very unwelcome guest last night when I got home from work. To set the stage a bit let me tell you about the spiders here... there are little ones which can kill you with a bite, then there are ones the size of softballs which eat birds who fall into their webs. So we have the whole menu of spiders. There is one in particular which, while isn't particularly harmful to humans, is massive and can be found pretty much everywhere - this would be the Huntsman.

After working for 5.5 hours at the restaurant I came home to find that one of these nasties had somehow managed to get in between the sliding and stationary panes of my window. How it managed this I have no clue. But I did the smart thing in dealing with this - called one of my the Aussie guys from school who lives near me to come get it. Lucky for me he was home. Lucky for the spider he didn't want to kill it and instead took it outside.

Just to give you an idea of the size of these things here are a couple pictures... I'm hoping it doesn't find its way into my room again any time soon.


3 comments:

Kevin said...

That bugger gives me some serious heebie-jeebies...yikes!

Courtney Craig said...

Holy shit, Kerri! And THIS is why I'm glad we only lived in Sydney for 3 months. It was inevitable that I would eventually see one & I don't think my heart could have stood it! WOW!

Jenni said...

Let's just say that picture is enough to make me NEVER want to live there EVER. :)