Saturday, June 13, 2009

First Official Day of Officiating! :)

Yes realise I have a previous post which talked about how that was my first weekend of officiating... that resulted in a very bitter me having woken up at 5:30, called the 'wet weather line' and being told the game were still one, traveling 1 hour to the fields only to find out the fields are closed because of the "rain" (it was sunny by the time I got there) and to top it off stepping in dog shit. So I've blocked that experience from my memory as much as possible and will now use today in its place.

I still had to get up at 5:30, but found a shortcut to the fields which will allow me 20 more minutes of sleep in the future (yay!). The games did go - granted it was freezing for the first two games - but it was really fun! The first game was for girls which were around 12-13 years old - which I was a side ref for - the second was for around 10-11 and I actually was the center ref. It was a pretty one sided game (the final score was 7-0) but I was given an 'A' from the guy watching and am now approved to ref harder games (which means more $$). The last game I was supposed to do the side but ended up being center for a completely other game (again more $$) and then ended with the side of the Aussie equivalent to Varisty game.

While I know this will sound cheesy but it was fun to ref the younger girls as I feel like I have a part in helping them learn the game. :) I won't comment on the state of the varsity teams soccer skills - but just say our JV would have killed them.

I've found some pictures of the fields I was at as I know people like pictures. Will keep you posted on how everything goes in coming weeks!

This picture makes the fields look much nicer than they are - but this is where all the little girls play

This is where the big kids play - and is actually in the center area of a greyhound race track of all places....

No comments: