Monday, March 8, 2010

Final Snapshots from Tasmania

To pick up my very drawn out story... we left St. Helens on Sunday morning and set off to the Bay of Fires before heading to Launceston. Now when you plan our trip to Tasmania there are certain things which people rave about seeing. On the East coast it is Freycinet National Park and the Bay of Fires. We'd already made the loop through Freycinet so the Bay of Fires was our next thing to look forward to.

Now it's called Bay of Fire because there is a kind of algae/fungus/stuff that grows on the rocks that stains them orange. And they are really stained - I was walking around bare foot and it didn't come off on my feet.

Anyways, we were very much looking forward to some awesome scenery. Now maybe we were tired or jaded but we weren't all that impressed. We found a lookout point and snapped some pictures and were set to take off. However I will say that I do enjoy these pictures the most of all from the trip. :)

The orange rocks

Yes it was a bit cold but and windy but it was still nice
The beaches were great

We took the opportunity to take advantage of the beach when it was empty

After taking in the scenery we left to go to Launceston. We were looking forward to an easy country drive... little did we know it would be all two lane roads and about a hours worth of hair pin turns up and down the steep hills - and I wish I was joking on the amount of this kind of driving it was. There were points at which I seriously felt like I was getting dizzy from during back and forth down the road.

While the driving wasn't exactly the best, the views were spectacular.

View from the top of one of the hills I was talking about

The country side

Ok, so this is a random one... this was an information center at one of the very small towns which is very environmentally conscious

Once we got to Launceston we were happy to return to the land of nice restaurants and civilisation. After getting lunch by the water we went up to the Cataracts Gorge. This is an area where the Tamar River comes down to the ocean and was damned to create some recreational areas back in the 20's. The area was very awesome. There is an outdoor lap pool, an exquisite lawn area, and some decent hikes. Now we still were a bit over the hiking so we took the easy paths, but it was still a great thing to see.

I also learned something while we were at Cataracts Gorge. There was a Tasmanian Tiger which used to roam the area. However, like with many rare species, it was hunted into extinction and can't be found anywhere.

View of the lawn and swimming pool

The valley goes like this for as far as we could see - pretty spectacular

A painting of the Tasmanian Tiger

The city of Launceston did offer more civilisation than we were used to, however there wasn't enough to warrant too much of description. So I will close this series of posts.

No comments: