After my initial swim I have continued to train for and participate in ocean swimming. As it's been a bit part of my free time I figured it was about time I wrote something about it. :) Today was an amazing swim in the actual Harbour. The swim started at the Opera House and ended at the Opera House. For those who know Sydney it essentially went to Mrs. Macquarie's chair and back in the little inlet/lagoon area next to the Opera House.
The race started and ended from the pier just below the Opera House
It was funny because when you look at the water the waves look pretty small, however they were actually pretty big when you were in the water - or they at least felt big. Through my training group I've managed to find a girl who swims at the same pace as I do and we were swimming by each other the whole time. The only annoying thing was that there was a guy swimming between/around us that was swimming drunk. He literally kept bumping into both of us and it was very annoying.
Now there are couple unique things about swimming in the harbour. One is that the water is very murky. We can typically see the floor of the ocean and fish swimming around, however I don't think we could see more than two feet in front of our hands.
In terms of providing the times they were very prompt... Now my first time pretty good by most standards and I finished 2K in 41 minutes, so when I saw a time of 31 minutes I knew something was off because I did not swim that much better. Across the board all the times were fast so the course must have been very short.


No comments:
Post a Comment