Saturday, August 9, 2008

Salvation in Drugs

OK so I know the title of this blog will raise some eyebrows... but they are all legal drugs. Before I get into the basis of my salvation I must give some context.

A while back I wrote about how I am training for a 14 kilometer run. Training pretty much stopped when school work became so busy I hardly had time to shower let alone run. So this week I have been ramping up my efforts in a feeble attempt to get in shape - the run in tomorrow. I had mapped out a plan to run 5K Saturday, 7K on Monday, 10K on Wednesday and another 10K on Friday. Everything was going well and on Wednesday I ended up running 7K but then made up for it with a 40 minute basketball game w/ no substitutes.

Friday morning I woke up with back spasms which made it very hard to sit in certain positions, bend over, twist, or do anything that required my lower back to move... I spend the day laying in bed working on my laptop in a very odd position in the hopes of my back getting better. Alas today I am not in as much pain but it still hurts. Now comes the drugs....

Back in the days of good old RHS my coaches would always carry a little jar of this balm called Tiger Balm. Now this is a 'natural' version of icey hot but only did the hot part. So you can imagine my excitement when I saw they have Tiger Balm here. Today I have been liberally applying far more than the recommended amount and this combined with one Advil liquid cap has made it so I can actually function without looking like I have a large stick inserted in certain orifices.

Tomorrows run will be a different story. My plan is to take a couple Advil, apply the balm liberally, and walk the uphills (which there are a couple doosies). We'll see if I'm able to move on Monday though...

1 comment:

Kevin said...

Is that the stuff that Bruce used to have with him? I remember he gave me a jar of green goo that did the same hot thing you described and it was a miracle for my shin splints. I used that stuff for two years straight, every single day we had practice or a game.

Good luck with the run!