Saturday, August 16, 2008

Yet Another Strange & Amazing Aussie Animal

Now, we all know that Australia is full of a range of animals that are both unique and odd. There are the obvious things such as the koala and kangaroo. Then there are the spiders, snakes, jellyfish and various other things that can kill you. But I think I have found the animal that takes the cake for strange/fascinating/just plain odd... it's the Lyre Bird.

This bird mimics all the sounds it hears in the forests of Southern Australia... so that obviously includes the other birds and animals. What makes it so strange is that this bird also mimics the human noises it hears... so in its orchestra are camera shutters, car alarms and even chain saws! When I first heard about this I figured it would be similar sounds - but watch this clip and you'll be able to understand why this I think this is so amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjE0Kdfos4Y

No comments: