To some people this may be a piece of chocolate with their dinner, a smile from a stranger, a hug from a baby... in my word it's the fact that I can buy junior's sized athletic shoes - saving me around 50%. :) Ah yes it is the little things in life that make it great... and in my case, help the pocket book.
I first encountered this back in December when I was shopping for basketball shoes in Seattle with Sabrina. None of the adult shoes fit me, so I gave the juniors a go - and they FIT!! My junior Jordans have served me well so far and have actually been the cause for some envy as it is hard to find women's basketball shoes here.
My latest encounter was the other day when I was shopping for soccer cleats (or boots as they call them here). First off, the selection (as with basketball shoes) wasn't all that you'd hope it would be so I was limited to begin with. Then the sizes were extremely limited... However one of the two sizes of juniors shoes fit like a dream. Considering the adult equivalent was 100 and my pair was 40 I found this a very good sign.
You might be wondering why I am buying soccer cleats - and I must admit this morning I had the same thought - but I am actually not a certified soccer referee for the Sydney School's Football Referee's Association. There is apparently a need for more women ref's and they pay is pretty decent so I have now added a 3rd job to my current list of employers and ever Saturday morning I will be getting up at an ungodly hour to go ref soccer matches in various parts of Syndey. They even game me my own set of flags and red/yellow cards - technically I had to buy them but they're MINE!! Oh the power!! :)
Now if only I can line up a proper job and be able to stay here long enough to make this job worthwhile....
No comments:
Post a Comment