Monday, July 6, 2009

Talk about Weird Accents...


So I've arrived safe and sound in Auckland. This is after getting 2.5 hours of sleep (probably less with the tossing and turning), getting to the airport at 5 only to find out the flight is delayed by 1.5 hours to let the crew sleep longer (am still jealous!), more delays enroute, and a quick cat nap on the bus into the city. The hotel I'm in is more of an upscale hostel, which suits my purpose. I have my own room with a stunning view of the construction site next door, small fridge and bathroom which I don't have to share with strangers.

My new visa for Australia is now lodged, so now I just have to sit pretty here and wait to hear back. Luckily it's all online so it should be pretty easy to facilitate. It's almost 5 here, so now the big question is how long I can stay vertical without starting to bump into walls. I might try to take a gander down the main strip and take a couple pictures for my next post. So far my first impression is that (like I've been told) there isn't much here but what they do have is actually alright. The only strange bit so far has been trying to figure out what the locals are saying - they have the weirdest accent - and having a girl give me a survey at the airport all about nuclear power and genetically modified foods - the underlying premise was would I still visit a country which use those things, considering I'm from one that does what do I care?

Anywhoo, will post more tomorrow as I actually have some fun things to update about now. :)

No comments: