Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Weekend of Fun - Part 2

So after my long weekend of swimming, relaxing, and cleaning - I had tickets to go to a show for the Sydney Festival. Sydney Festival is essentially a month long music, arts, and theatre extravaganza all throughout Sydney. Some of the shows are mystical/magical, some are new takes on old shows, and some are just concerts. I've never been too into the art scene, but my old flatmate is so she had her eye on a couple of shows. One of which was this hip hop group called the Tom Tom Crew. Her description to me was that they were a percussion and acrobatics group which had received rave reviews.

I went into the show open minded but was not expecting anything too fantastic. I was wrong - it was amazing!!

So the group is made up of 6 people (7 but one was injured for our show). One guy is a DJ, another a specialist in percussion instruments of any form, three acrobats, and an amazing (and very cute) beet boxer named Tom Thumb. The show was truly awesome. From the beginning they had everyone involved and engaged with the performance. Tom Thumb was exceptional and was able to use his voice in ways which you wouldn't think possible.




Needless to say this was a very good end to a long weekend and was topped off with some exceptional Thai food and a bottle of wine. :)

No comments: