Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Bruises, sprains and one huge Victory!!

Our weekend in Melbourne was a huge success. It started off well for use sporties w/ a couple (6) pitchers of Guinnes in the pub prior to the debate - so an obvious good start to the weekend. Then was followed quickly by a massive victory over the other school's debate team, which failed to do the basic thing of debate - provide proof that they are correct! This victory was obviously followed by more drinking when we went to one of the attic bars Melbourne is known for. Basically there are all these alleys with restaurants and bars in the most random spaces. These are funky little places with really awesome atmosphere, so a good place to be to celebrate. Given I was going to be doing a heavy amount of sports the next day I was pretty tame with my drinking.

In the pub before the debate

Saturday morning before we went of to play I checked out the outdoor market with some friends - definitely a cool place to be able to go shop. They had everything from food to underwear to kitchen appliances all in an open air market. Then came the sports.... To provide the short story - we swept them in volleyball, soccer, and ultimate frisbee. With the closest sport being ultimate which was decided by a sudden death 'next point wins.' Oh the taste of victory was sweet.

As part of the tradition the hosting school had organised a big night out on the town. So we headed to the tallest building in Australia and the highest observation deck in the souther hemisphere for a night out. Considering it was 3 hours of all you can eat and drink this was a good (granted early - 6PM) start to the night.

The Eureka Tower - where the fun began

Sunday was the perfect hangover day - in that we went back to the markets to have a nice unhealthy breakfast and then spent the day sleeping at the beach. The weather was fantastic and we managed to find an area with live music in St. Kilda and literally slept in the sun. It was fantastic.

Sleeping on the boardwalk

I dont' feel that I was there long enough to guage whether I like it better than Sydney. While it does have the cultural aspects which Sydney lacks it has a much smaller city feel. Now I'm not sure if this is because of where we were and the fact that it was the weekend - but it did not have the big city feel that I love oh so much.

No comments: