Wednesday, September 10, 2008

A Perfect Day for a Walk.... err Hike

I have been itching to take advantage of the fantastic weather we've had here while spring is coming into it's own. Today it was sunny, 17 degrees C or 62 F, with a light breeze and only a few clouds. So far I have done most of the walks on the 'South head' - which for all those not familiar with Sydney means on the south side of the harbour - and one of the main trails on the North Head. (Note: I pointed out the irony in these being called heads as this is the term for bathroom on boats... but my friend didn't find it as funny.)

At 9AM my friend Alex and I set off on the bus to Manly where we would start our trek. We caught the ferry from Circular Quay to Manly and began what ended up being a 2.5-3 hour walk. Here is an aerial view of Manly beach to give you an idea of the beaches we saw.

The walk proved to be a bit more interesting as there wasn't a set path. So we ended up winding our way through various residential areas from beach to beach and finally found our way to Dee Why Beach. Having just walked for a significant period of time we were drawn to the promise of a cold beer and some food.

While the walk was enjoyable I don't know that it is one I would recommend. I would however recommend any of the various beaches we saw. They have less people, not just tourists but less people, are cleaner, and for anyone wanting to surf they had some pretty intense waves. In addition to this they all had a bit of the natural reserve area behind the beach areas - somewhat like you find in Florida.

Kirsten - on my next walk I will try to take some pictures for you so you can have something to look at. :) In the mean time I will look forward to the 23rd of October!!

No comments: